“Honey, where’s the tent? I am going Black Friday shopping.” May be a phrase you’ve heard all too often. For years Americans have put the leftover turkey in the fridge, mapped out their favorite retail locations, and loaded survival gear in the car to brave the Black Friday crowds. The Friday after Thanksgiving is considered the first day of the holiday shopping season, and retailers kick it off with a bang! However, Black Friday can leave some consumers tired, overwhelmed, cold, and maybe even a little grumpy. It became clear an alternative was in order when retailers noticed their online sales skyrocket the Monday after Thanksgiving.
Consumers started ditching the Black Friday crowds to shop from the comfort of their own homes, online. This trend became very popular with consumers, and online retailers jumped on the opportunity to provide major deals online after the holiday. In 2005 shop.org released “Cyber Monday Quickly Becoming One of the Biggest Online Shopping Days of the Year“, in which they stated that 77% of online retailers increased their sales substantially on the Monday after Thanksgiving; and the rest is history.
In the past, Cyber Monday has been the highest spending day of the entire year! This will hold true this year as well, so here are some tips for consumers to get the most from Cyber Monday.
1. Make a wish list: Having a list of all the items you want to purchase will make looking for the best deals on those items a lot easier!
2. Recruit a friend: Invite your most savvy shopper friend, preferably one with a laptop, over to find the best deals together. Two devices are better than one!
3. Don’t miss the opportunity to travel: Always dreamed of a tropical vacation but couldn’t afford it? This could be your chance, travel companies have hopped on the Cyber Monday bandwagon!
4. Find deals from local retailers: Check your local retailer Cyber Monday deals, sometimes they have the best prices!
5. Wear your pajamas: Because why not? After all, you are getting the best deals on gifts from the comfort of your own home!
Retailers, we don’t want to leave you out in the cold. Here are some tips to get the most from Cyber Monday.
1. Newsletters: Update your subscribers on what deals you will have.
2. Use social: Use your social accounts to update consumers on the best selling products, how many products are left, and your special offers.
3. Monitor customer conversations on social: See what your customers are saying about your Cyber Monday deals, and other retailers deals to see how yours compare.
3. Leverage your brand ambassadors: Use your best customers to create buzz about your deals on their social networks.
4. VIP hours: Give your best customers special hours during a low traffic time on Cyber Monday to claim a special deal, product, or service; and increase traffic!
5. Treat yourself: Cyber Monday wouldn’t be possible without you, so celebrate another successful Cyber Monday with an item from your personal wish list!